They say not to judge a book by its cover, and something I learned long ago is not to judge a mascara by its price tag. In fact, my favorite mascara sits on a drug store shelf and costs a very reasonable $5.50. The mascara I’m talking about is
Maybelline’s ‘Volum’ Express The Mega Plush Mascara.’
I want you to know that I’ve willingly entered into a monogamous relationship with this little guy for over a year, which is actually saying something when you consider the fact that I’ve never really settled down with any other mascara before now. Let me be clear – I’m not going to say it’s the ‘best’ mascara ever; with the seemingly endless array of options available out there, I think that would be nearly impossible to actually determine. All I’m saying is that it’s goooooood. I definitely feel like it makes my eyelashes look thicker and longer, and doesn’t smudge or crumble; what more could you really ask for in a mascara? And while I’m no expert on the subject, I do take my mascara seriously. In fact, if I had to play that ‘you’re stranded on a desert island and can only bring one piece of makeup game, then there’s a good chance I’d probably choose mascara. (Because who cares about clean water, food, or the ability to make fire, my mascara and I will keep each other warm at night… Right? Confession… I spent the majority of my Outdoor Ed. class painting my nails and trying to figure out how to teleport the hell out of there, so my survival skills are somewhat limited). But all joking aside, I think you get the point – mascara is an extremely important, if not THE most important, element in my makeup routine.
Speaking of my routine, I think it’s pretty standard. Curl, apply, repeat 2 or 3 times depending on where I’m going / how intense I want my eyelashes to look. And with years of practice under my belt, I’ve picked up a trick or two along the way:
- The Formula:
- I always get the waterproof formula. I just find that it lasts longer, and doesn’t crumble or smear. Plus that way I’m always ready for an impromptu Skinny dip! Not that I’ve ever really taken advantage of it…
- The Curler:
- If you want to get the most out of your eyelash curler, try heating it first: your lashes will curl more easily and hold the shape much longer.
- Apply the first coat of mascara while the curler is still on your lashes for even better hold.
- How-to Apply:
- after curling, wiggle the brush through the base of your lashes before swiping to the tips.
- If you find your mascara looks clumpy, comb a clean toothbrush through your lashes
- Did You Know?
- If you find your mascara is getting clumpy, you can soak the tube in hot water to make the formula liquid-y again.
- Shelf Life:
- But with that said, don’t keep any mascara longer than 3 months; it has the shortest shelf life of any makeup. Keeping it any longer increases your chance of getting eye infections, so just don’t! Fresh mascara always seems to look best anyway!
That’s all for now. I hope this little guide was helpful. Do you have a favorite mascara? Please share, because I would love to know!