Lipstick is such a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to update your look, it’s fun to experiment with new colors every once in a while. That’s why this week’s Makeup Monday post is all about dark lipstick, a makeup trend that feels so on point for fall, I’ve been dying to try it for myself. So naturally, being the compulsive planner that I am, I set about researching all of the best dark lip colors out there. Ultimately I was able to narrow it down to drugstore brand NYX’s ‘Soft Matte Lip Cream’ in Transylvania. It was basically the exact color I’d been looking for, and at $6.00, I had nothing to lose.
When it comes to working this lipstick into your look, I would definitely stick to these few simple ‘rules:’
- Keep eye makeup to a minimum
- Only plan to wear it at night
- Don’t be afraid to let the color fade… I actually really liked it when the color started to wear off; it made my lips look kind of stained and bitten.
- Exfoliate the s*** out of your lips!!! This is important because:
- A: the formula is a little translucent (forgivable because of it’s price tag)
- B: I think the key to pulling off any matte lipstick is smooth lips
- Don’t worry, I figured out an at-home solution for a super quick and easy, organic, DIY lip scrub, so you can get those lips in fighting shape, fast! (I got your back). Simply:
- Combine olive oil and sugar together in a small bowl to make a paste
- Rub onto lips, massaging in a circular motion. The longer you do this, the more you exfoliate
- Rinse with warm water
- Rehydrate lips (I used vaseline) to keep them soft and supple
Some last thoughts about this trend… It’s a total man-repeller, one of those fashion moments that your girlfriends totally get, but the simpler sex just doesn’t understand. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not stopping me from wearing it (even though my fiancé makes a face every time I put it on and tells me I look ‘scary’). I still feel that my fall look wouldn’t be complete without it. (Sorry Max). I also have a funny feeling this is one of those trends I will regret experimenting with when I look back at these pictures in 5 years… But right now it’s kind of fun, and you only live once. What are your thoughts on this trend?